Chia Fresca: A Natural Energy Drink!
pictures & recipe from ohsheglows
a popular drink in Mexico and Central America for many years. It’s made up of water, chia seeds, lemon or lime juice, and sweetener.
a quick refresher on chia seeds:
- Chia seeds are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, even more so than flax seed
- Chia seeds do not need to be ground to be absorbed by the body and they can be stored for long periods of time without going rancid
- They help with hydration due to their ability to absorb up to 9-10 times their weight in water
- Chia seeds also contain fibre, protein, calcium, magnesium, copper, iron, and zinc among many other nutrients
- Chia seeds like to get stuck in your teeth.
Yield: 2 cups
- 2 cups water or coconut water
- 1.5 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice, or to taste
- Sweetener, to taste (I like 1/2 tbsp maple syrup)
1. Add chia and water into a jar or glass and stir very well to combine. Let sit for 10 minutes to allow the chia seeds to swell up.
2. Add lime or lemon juice and sweetener to taste. Stir (or shake) well to combine and enjoy!
Note: Chia seeds will sink and collect at the bottom of the glass quickly. Give it a good stir as needed.
(for the entire recipe using 1.5 tbsp chia seed. Does not include sweetener)